Let your smile speak for itself
A smile can speak volumes about a person without them having to say anything at all. A smile is the universal language of the heart that communicates feelings of joy and love. A smile can be an indicator of happiness, vitality, and success. Is your smile sending the message you want it to?
Why are my teeth stained?
As you might suspect, there are a number of different factors that can contribute to the staining, yellowing, or discoloration of teeth. It is important to understand and recognize the primary causes in order to minimize staining and maximize your whitening results.
- Staining agents – Coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco are the biggest offenders, but really anything that will stain a white tee shirt will stain your teeth. Avoiding or at least minimizing staining agents is a good start.
- Sipping habits – If you tend to drink your coffee (or tea, or juice) relatively slowly, this may contribute to the staining process. Minimize the time of contact with your teeth by sipping stain-causing beverages quickly, and through a straw to avoid the teeth.
- Oral hygiene – This one may be fairly obvious, but a good oral hygiene routine is essential in removing and preventing surface stains. Brushing at least twice daily (ideally after eating or drinking), flossing daily, and visiting your Rochester dentist regularly will help keep your teeth pearly white.
- Age – Our teeth tend to show the effects of aging just as our bodies do. Maintaining a healthy diet and oral hygiene routine is important, but can only go so far. If you want to keep your smile shining for life, you may want to consider a professional whitening treatment.
- Other factors – Some prescription medications, such as Tetracycline, have been known to cause moderate to severe teeth staining. Patients who spend a lot of time in a chlorinated pool also show signs of irregular tooth discoloration.
Professional teeth whitening
Coffee stains have met their match with professional teeth whitening treatments at White Spruce Dental. Your Rochester dentists can brighten your smile up to seven shades in as little as one hour with a high-tech in-office whitening treatment. We also have a take-home whitening kit available for patients who wish to whiten from the comfort of their own home. While over the counter products are fairly effective at removing surface stains, only a professional whitening treatment from White Spruce Dental can remove those deep, intrinsic stains that give teeth their color.
If you have any questions about teeth whitening, or would like to schedule an appointment with your Rochester dentist, Dr. Nozik or Dr. Tumminelli at White Spruce Dental, please contact us today at 585.512.8428.
Proudly serving Rochester, Henrietta, Brighton, Pittsford, Scottsville, Irondequoit, Churchville, Mendon, and Greece!